Firstly, we have to know what ‘wudhu’ means before learning how to make wudhu. Wudhu is a washing ritual performed by Muslims before prayer.
Allah says in the holy Qur’an: oh, you who believe! When you stand up to perform salaah, wash your face, your arms up to (and including) your elbows, pass wet hands over your head and wash your feet up to (and including) your ankles.
The above verse highlights the compulsory actions of wudhu. These 4 acts will suffice in the case of scarcity of water. The complete wudhu
consists of 13 actions. So, in other words, under normal circumstances a complete wudhu (of 13 actions) should be performed.
wudhu is required in order to touch the Qur’an and in order to read salah (pray). The superiority of it in Islam is mention in the following
narrated by Abu Huraira (may Allah be pleased with him) heard the messenger (p.b.u.h) saying: ‘’on the day of resurrection, my followers will be called Al-Ghurr-ul-Muhajjalun from the traces of ablution and whoever can increase the area of his radiance should do so (I.e. by performing ablution in most perfect manner).’’
The following is the manner in which the complete wudhu is performed.
The 13 sunnah (habitual acts) of wudhu are:
1. Making Niyat (intention) e.g., ‘’oh Allah I intend to make wudhu in
order to read salaah and touch the Qur’an’’.
2. To say ‘’Bismillah.
3.Washing of the hands thrice up to the wrists.
4. Brushing the teeth with the ‘’MISWAK.’’ (The miswak is a teeth cleaning twig made from the Salvadora persica tree. It is reported to
have been used over 7000 years ago).
5. Gargling three times.
6. Passing water into the nostrils thrice.
7. KHILAL I.e., to pass wet fingers into the beard.
8. KHILAL of the fingers and toes.
9. Washing of each part THREE times.
10. MASAH (I.e., the passing of wet hands over the head or feet), of the whole head ONCE.
11. MASAH of both ears ONCE.
12. Wudhu done SYSTEMATICALLY.
13. Washing of each part one after the other without pause, so no part dries up before the wudhu is completed.
There are 5 mustahabs (virtous actions) in wudhu:
Carrying out a mustahab act brings more reward but there is no sin if left out.
The items below are the mustahab acts:
1.To begin from the right.
2. To make Masah of the nape.
3. Not to take ASSISTANCE from anyone.
4. To face the QIBLA (the direction of the Kaaba)
5. To sit on the high and clean place.